Gateshead Parish consists of two churches serving the community within central Gateshead and the wider area, we have St James & St Bede Church based on Wordsworth Street, Sunderland Road and St Edmund’s Chapel in the heart of Gateshead .
Services are held at both churches, but not every Sunday. Check the services page on the website, or our Facebook page, to check where and what time services are being held.
We are currently without our own Vicar, but are working towards remedying that situation. We have visiting clergy most Sundays, and sometimes celebrate communion by extension with our own leaders.
Should you wish to speak to someone about weddings or baptisms, please telephone the church office on 477 5708 and leave a message on the answering machine. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
We use the Anglican Church’s Five Marks of Mission as the cornerstone for our service within the church and community
- To proclaim the good news of the kingdom
- To teach, baptise and nurture new believers
- To respond to human need by loving service
- To seek to transform unjust structures in society
- To strive to safeguard the life of the earth
We are active in our faith and spend time together in a variety of ways,
Shared Ministry Development Team (SMDT)
- pray together;
- nurture the ministry of others;
- help the church to choose priorities;
- promote the mission of the church
Start and Moving On
Both are small group sessions running within the Parish,
Start – helps group members to:
- Think where they are going in their lives
- Ask questions about Christian faith
- Discover the good news of Jesus
- Consider how they want to respond
Moving On! is the highly acclaimed discipleship course from Leading your Church into Growth.
Moving On!- helps group members to:
Consider the benefits and challenges of being a follower of Jesus
- Be active and committed members of the church
- Grow in their relationship with God
- Explore the Trinity and Holy Spirit
- Think about Christian stewardship
- Be wholehearted disciples
We normally run in groups of six to ten people; each session involves watching a DVD programme, followed by time to talk, listen and ask questions. Sessions last roughly ninety minutes
For additional information go to their website: Leading your Church in to Growth
Help and Healing Ministry
YJourney is the youth wing of Journeying. Team Rector Rev. Jon Wilkinson is one of the leaders spearheading this innovative youth ministry; he is committed to reaching young people with the message of the gospel in ways that are relevant to youth.